Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Red Writing Hood Meme: Poetry

It's that time of the week again! It's time for the Red Writing Hood meme over at The Red Dress Club. This week is a bit different and takes me back to my Bad Hair Emo Smee days, and is asking me to write some poetry. Don't worry- there's no scribbling manically in the dark, and no fear of cutting myself to "let the words bleed out", but here goes. The subject of the meme is a narrative poem about the workings of a family.

VACATION

Beep... beep... beep...
Good lord, it's already 5am?
Get the hubster up, good,
now I can sleep two more hours.
"Hey kiddo, time to get up," the kid is up and moving.
Let the dogs out, pet the cat,
grab the keys.
Short drive, drop her off at her sitting job,
time to go run.
Korn, Pantera, Steel Panther,
my concrete companions-
with a little Justin Timberlake SHHH!
Pick the kid up, get her fed,
"Mom, can I go play outside?"
Go, go, there's cleaning to be done.
Scrub here, wipe there,
how the hell did this get so badly stained?
Five minute break,
looks like it's gonna be Buffy on Netflix.
More scrub, more wipe, add some shine-
Perfect!
"I'm hungry."
Lunchtime already? *sigh*
Make some sandwiches,
here's the chips- enjoy.
Dogs want out again.
Straighten up the living room,
UGH this floor needs to see a mop!
Dog hair in the hallway, dust on everything,
cat toys underfoot.
Should I do laundry, too?
Oh, almost forgot! Have to defrost dinner!
Okay, chicken's thawing,
laundry's washing,
is that Buffy mugging down with Spike?
"Daddy's home!"
How was your day? "I'm hungry!"
Supper's cooking, only a few more minutes,
Vampire slaying replaced by ESPN.
Food's eaten, dishes cleaned,
pet-sitting job time!
Drop the kid off- again-
and go home to chat with friends
while folding laundry
and arranging Girl Scout activities.
Pick the girl up, chat and fold,
it's 11pm so soon?
Put away the clean clothes,
make sure the animals are cared for,
the family is happy,
and I'm gonna shower and go to bed.
5am seems to come awfully quick.
Only four more days
until I go back to work.

4 August 2010


8 comments:

  1. Ha. Great ending. Really loved the sounds in this especially at the front half. There was a great clip to it. Made you feel the constant action of the narrator's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I know cutting is a serious thing but "let the words bleed out" made me giggle pretty hard! As for the poem, it definitely speaks to me considering I sometimes would like a break and I'm pretty sure I'd even take hard labor so I can piss in peace. :). You've definitely gotten that point across in this piece! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, so true, how I envy my husband as he leaves for work every morning. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this was vacation? that last line was a nice little kick. :) I'm with Ericka, the 'letting the words bleed out' made me snort. Only because I prob would have said something similar (and never got the nerve up to do any damage.)

    great job - here from TRDC and Red Writing Hood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I've never done the whole "cutting" thing, just throwing in some of the emo image :) And yes, this was the crux of my vacation. I managed to secure 8 days off around my birthday, and I slept in one day. And even then, the hubby did NOT take our girl to her pet-sitting job. *sigh* I told him next weekend when I'm off, I'm not doing a darn thing except baking lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Korn, Pantera, Steel Panther,
    my concrete companions-
    with a little Justin Timberlake SHHH"

    LOVE this. Your secret is safe with me.

    And seriously, how can the words "I'm hungry" be loaded with so much dread? I've learned to hate those words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the frantic pace of the poem.And love the twist at the end - vacation IS hard work, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete